Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelunchpail

Technical User
Jul 20, 2003
CA
I have a Mix with a PRI with only 10 trunks.
When all the trunks are busy transferred calls to external lines are lost.

And what is the question

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

You cant expect calls to go out if they are all busy, maybe you did not provide enough detail.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Sorry !
I DO have a few questions.
It has been my experience the Norstar is really good at not losing calls no matter how badly a call is transferred or answered, parked, or put on hold and forgotten.
Anyone answering a call has no idea how many trunks are being used or even how many trunks they have.
If the 10th line rings in and someone answers they are not aware if there are any free lines available or not, so if they try to transfer it to an external number when there are no available trunks: should they not get busy tone or some kind of indication that there are no lines available?
lines 1 to 10 are provisioned and 11 to 23 are deprovisioned
Out going calls do start at 10 and descend from there.
I haven't been able to test this problem because it is difficult to busy out all of their trunks to force the scenario while they are open.
I'm not even sure this is why they are dropping calls , but it is only what the customer is telling me.
I am also wondering if there is some thing wrong with the provisioning or rather the lines that are de-provisioned?
Do they have to be disabled as well some where in maintenance or is there some other location the programming that has to be changed when pri lines are taken out of service?

If anyone has a MICS with a PRI in a lab or on a bench that could test the scenario I would really love to hear what it does do or what it is supposed to do when it is working properly.
I will have to arrange to go after working hours and busy all their trunks except one and give it a good test.

Thank you

As Curly stated, if all 10 provisioned channels are busy, then you cannot call out (or get calls in). There's no magic to it!

You can't just provision the other 13 channels and expect to be able use them......they're controlled by your Telco.

If that's happening to them often, then they obviously need more channels opened. Call the Telco and request 3, 4 or whatever number of additional channels you want activated. Just make sure you provision them on the Norstar too.

Given the cost, it's likely that activating all 23 might be cheaper or not that much more.

Telcodog

Obviously they can't call out or transfer out if there are no more available lines, but why are they not given some kind of indication that there are no outgoing lines available when they try.
I suggested they should add a few more lines lines if they are finding they are not getting dial tone very often
and was told . It doesn't happen often.
That still doesn't explain why a call should be disconnected or lost
Some Jabroni gets a DID call to his desk that he wants to transfer out. He just hits transfer and dials out. He has no way to check to see how many trunks are busy. If there are no lines available It should be indicated so he can at least tell the customer he cannot transfer the call at this time.

If I remember somewhere In programming there is place to program minimum and maximum incoming and outgoing.
I wonder if that does not mirror the number provisioned would it make a difference to how the calls were routed.

Ok so seems like now your saying a human transfers an inbound call to an external number and then the call drops but no nothing on the display or no verbal sounds.

Does the caller hear anything?
Does it happen every try?
Are they using the dest code to transfer?
How many office users?
Did they cut down company size then expand again?

Check Alarms (all 3 logs), (and/or) then clear them, have them note time and day when it happens then check alarms/events again.
Try maybe doing some conference calls
Try setting up a mailbox with external transfer then call it and try and see if you hear Bionic Betty tell you what the issue is

What version MICS software?

Gettin low on ammo

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

If you put a line pool key on the phone, it will light up when all channels are busy. Also when Joe Blow tries transfer out with no channels available he will get an screen indication after dialing the access code/destination code "no free lines". He just has to pay attention.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

7.1 software
Yes they cut down their trunks a couple of years ago and have added a few back recently.
I haven't talked to the person or people that had the problem, just their IT dept.
I had a quick look at the programming and it looked ok
I will do more investigating.
thanks for your suggestions.
If it is only from Reception I will try a Line pool key.
I had a line pool key on the reception phone when they had analog trunks but never thought to put one on when they reduced their PRI trunking and for two years had no complaints. The weird thing is they didn't report any problems until they added a few trunks back on????

Thanks

Do they have to be disabled as well some where in maintenance or is there some other location the programming that has to be changed when pri lines are taken out of service?"

The answer to that question is yes you need to also go in and tear down the LINK to the B-Channels that are not in use. If the link is still active then from time to time you will try to hit those channels and get nothing but dead air. So for the channels you're not using you should Deprovision and disable the Link for the unused B-channels, both prompts should be found under Maintenace.

You can use SWCA keys to help out with seeing how many channels in use as they show an appearance of a parked call.

There is no Pool key for PRI, only an external Autodial that dials the dest code.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks curlycord
for re-confirming that pool keys don't work on PRI's
I not familiar with swca keys
I finally was able to talk to the receptionist and she clarified her problem.
She confirmed that the IT guy didn't report the problem correctly.
so:
I DO apologize for for asking for a solution for a problem that doesn't exist

No- she didn't lose any calls.
Yes - she did have some calls that would not transfer.
yes - she has no indication when all her lines are busy.
and something I found very curious: a few times she had a weird little double descending tone and have her call display light up with a customer name and number but no incoming call.
I am assuming that could be an incoming call that had no available trunk... but the D channel sent the CALL DISPLAY spill any way
I know the data is sent between the first and second ring but that could be just a timing thing so not to delay the call any longer than necessary.
I did give her a few more appearances of the main number on her set so they don't overflow onto her intercom keys when it gets backed up.
My final question to try and save this from becoming a complete bust: Is there a way to have an all trunks busy display on her phone ??
If she could monitor that then she could let the IT guy know he needs more trunks.

Thank you again

Did you tear down the Link on the unused channels? The reason I ask is because ghost calls is another issue you will have if they are active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back