Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost BOOT.INI File

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooky68

Technical User
Feb 9, 2009
GB
Hi All
As the subject says, I've lost my boot.ini file, I've done a search for it and it's gone.
I haven't got a floppy drive and I'm unable to use a flash drive as I haven't got one, how can I make a boot.ini file?
I have got access to another PC using the same OS, does it matter about the different setup? can I copy the boot.ini file to my PC?
My OS is XP PRO SP3.

Pete

I've done a search for it and it's gone."

did you search for hidden/systemfiles too?
the boot.ini is a hidden file in the root of your bootpartition.

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Boot using a XP Install CD...

then go to the Recovery Console, once logged on, you can use BOOTCFG and FIXBOOT to repair the BOOT.INI and BOOTSECTOR...

See:

Option 2: Starting the Windows Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD-ROM

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

There is often a boot.bak file in the root of the C: drive if you can boot using a BARTPE CD or make the drive a slave in another computer, you could rename it and be on your way.

It would be interesting to clarify if your machine without the (visible) Boot.ini file still boots for you?

If it does boot, then the problem becomes one of making the Boot.ini visible.

That would be solved by Folder Options/ View, and checking the two boxes which hide or show both Hidden and also System files. When Search is used you also have to set the "More Advanced Options" in there to Search for both Hidden and System files.

Wherever you get a new Boot.ini file from it must be checked to make sure that it points to the correct drive and partition on your machine.

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP (Q289022)

A Discussion About the Bootcfg Command and Its Uses (Q291980)

I think I've sorted it, I found a 'BOOT.INI' file strangely in an email folder?
and, yes, I did set it to search hidden files but found nothing, not even a backup one?

Thanks
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back