Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost bios password

Status
Not open for further replies.

turborob

Programmer
Dec 10, 2000
GB
I need to alter a few settings in the bios but cannot remember the password:
I heard that there are factory set backdoor passwords (where would i find these),
or would clearing the cmos solve my problem ???.
:::::Award bois:::::

Thanx To All Replies, Rob

Howdy:

Clearing the BIOS would do it.. Either use the jumper to reset the CMOS or take the battery out for a few minutes.

Murray

If there is no jumper or you don't want to wait for a reset while taking the battery out. there may also be to soder points near the battery which you can short with a paperclip.

check your manual or goto the manufacturers website for the reset points.

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

Look here:

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I would try find a manual for the motherboard in question before trying to short anything. The manual will most probably have a step-by-step description on how to reset the BIOS password.

I absolutely agree, Never try shorting something you know nothing about.

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

Press the INS button while starting the PC will clear the BIOS. No need to mess around this jumpers / batteries etc

Tez

Women are like computers, you have to press a button to turn them on.

Tezzie - does this work for all mobos? (just, I've never heard of it).

seems to simple to clear a bios.

~Shmoes

there is an easier way.....

look for a program called KILLCMOS...

this program can be run in windows or DOS and resets your bios for you ....no opening of the case!

having said that, some virus programs will pick the program up as a virus even though it is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back