Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost ATX shut-down capabilities!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuFuss

Technical User
Jul 18, 2000
US
I installed an infared device that didin't work and now I get an error on shut down every time. My computer reboots rather than shutting off like it used too, or I get fatal error code @ shut down. I am running Win98se on an Intel 266mhz MMX 64meg RAM ATX.

normally this happens when it trying to close something, or is saving information regarding one of the open objects, try preventing the Infrared thing from starting at bootup, and see if it allows you to shut down. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

The infrared device that you installed, was it external ie plugged into a port on the back of the machine, or was it internal? Did you change any bios settings? The other day I was messing around with my bios and I discovered that I could turn off the autopower off feature from there.<br><br>BTW, are you using win98se because it does have problems with shutting down.<br><br> <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Try going to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> coverage of shut down problems is very good.<br><br>You will probably find that the install program has left a line added to the end of your autoexec.bat &quot;win /w&quot;, delete it.<br><br>Let us know if this does not help.

A couple thoughts to throw in.&nbsp;&nbsp;Make sure you don't have any of your &quot;Wake On...&quot; options turned on.&nbsp;&nbsp;Like Wake On Lan, Wake On Modem etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think Wake On Lan is one of the dumber options, since on most networks there is always activity.&nbsp;&nbsp;Another time-consuming method of troubleshooting shutdown issues is to run msconfig, go to the startup tab and disable 3 options at a time, then try shutting down at least 2 times. Don't disable the systray though.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>On another note, I seem to recall a TechNet document addressing this problem, but don't recall the document number.&nbsp;&nbsp;do a search on technet.<br><br>Brian

I am experiencing the same random inability to gracefully shutdown<br>Windows98 2nd Edition. However, I am specifically asking EasyPC<br>if he can update his reference to the site, &quot;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> have been unable to get to that site. I get a message that the site<br>does not exist yet I can ping it (by name) from a DOS Command <br>window while on the Internet. I am using Netscape Communicator<br>4.07&nbsp;&nbsp;If I am the only one with these problems, then I'll keep trying<br>the site but right now, it is a dead end for me.

Thank You All for the help, the Infared device was external and I can't get it off my system. Perhaps this calls for a fresh Install :)

Did you mess up something in the BIOS-specifically the 2nd Serial port?
If it's set to IrDA or something to do with IR, Windows tries to autodetect it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back