Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost&found folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

roycrom

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I had to run an fsck on a couple of filesystems on RHEL4 and now two of my partitions have an extremely populated lost&found folder.

Does anyone know of any sort of recovery tool that will look at the lost&found folder and give me some clue as to where they came from - or am I stuck examining each file and trying to figure out whhat they were? If they are data files/lib files then this is obviously going to be very difficult!

Thanks

------------------------------------------
Somethings come from nothing, nothing seems to come from somethings - SFA - Guerilla

roycrom :)

Happen to have a old dump image? It contains the inode number of the old file which should appear in the name of the orphaned inode.

There are literally thousands of files, I don't have an old dump unfortunately, a lot of them are lib files, or binary files so a 'file' doesn't really help me.

I've managed to get the box into a workable state, but it took me longer than I would have liked, would be nice if I could had had a tool that would have gone through lost and found folder and tell me what they used to be and give me the option of restoring them to their rightful place, but obviously that tool wouldn't work if there is no original location info in the lost&found files.

Thanks for the replies, it's appreciated.

------------------------------------------
Somethings come from nothing, nothing seems to come from somethings - SFA - Guerilla

roycrom :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back