Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost All Devices (Primary/2ndary IDE, Printer, SCSI...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2003
US
System: HP Kayak XA
O/S: ME

After (perm) removed _RESTORE folder and turn-off of system RESTORE to save space, I lost both of my devices including CD-ROMs (one is a HP reWriteable plus 8200, cannot tell the brand of the other.)

The following list of devices with "yellow! warning sign" and "Code 10" error (printer port has code 24 error) in device manager (and in Add/Remove hardware) are.

- Primary IDE controller (Dual fifo)
- Secondary IDE controller (Dual fifo)
- Standard Floppy Disk Controller

- Adaptec AHA-294X/AIC-78XX PCI SCSI Controller
- Printer Port
- Iomega Click! Parallel Port Interface
- Iomega Parallel Port Zip Interface

What I tried so far with no vail.....

1) re-install driver (/w auto selection) - and seems I had all the driver files on C drive still.

2) per FAQ (FAQ602-2544 ...on code 31), I removed the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Boot to safe mode. Open device manager, remove these devices, and any devices that are in duplicate, or no longer exist on the system.

Reboot, and have those driver disks handy, time to reinstall them, as you are prompted.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back