Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Administrator Password on Win2k Pro-Please Help 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic592

Technical User
Apr 27, 2002
US
Can someone help me, I lost the administrator password to my win2k computer. I tried using the boot disks and re-setting it but it did not work. I bought the computer used and did not get the win2k cd with it, the person stated the win2k disk was pre-installed but I am unable to get to it. I tried to use the guest account but apparently the person i bought it from deleted the account on there for guest.
How can I reset the admin username and password?

Sorry, but you need to reinstall windows.
There is no way you can get or reset the password for an administrator account.

Fear not there is a way. Unfortunately it will cost $70.00. That's the cheapest software to do it I have found so far. It is an Administrator password reset utility sold by Sunbelt Software called NTAccess. It works for NT,2000 and XP. See Passware also sells one.

There is a way to reset the password if you have access to the file system, ie. with DOS. First, always be careful about waht you do.
If you have access to the file system, go to the windows directory and rename LOGON.SCR to LOGON.OLD
Then make a copy of the file explorer.exe and rename it logon.scr
No reboot you computer and wait. On a normal Windows 2000 / NT PC the logon screensaver comes on after about 15 minutes. Instead of the screensaver, you wil now get a windows explorer. From here you can start you user manager and change the password because you have system rights, which is more than admin rights.

Hope it helps
P.rkCh.p

As long as you have access to the floppy drive on an NT, 2000 or XP PC you can change the admin password.

You Will Need
-One Floppy Disk
-This file -
And thats it. Now, this is a custom made version of the Linux kernel that fits onto a floppy disk and was made specificly for this task. It can also be used to edit the registry.

Just insert your floppy, format it, then run the makeboot.bat file included in the zip file. When its done, thats it. Really. Just put your floppy into a WinNT/2K/XP machine, reboot, and follow the onscreen prompts to change the admin password and own that box

Ubertek,

I can't download the file you specified... anyplace else I can get it? I also need to recover an admin password / reset it.

How can I create an ntfsdos boot disk and be able to view the c:\winnt directory upon bootup?

thanks!
mike

mwtakahas

Look's like the link got deleted just after I poseted it. Must be popular :)

Try this one instead.
It also has a few warning's about problems you may encounter while doing it although I haven't had any issues. If you just press enter to accept the default's to any prompt's it should be fine.

You can't actually create a boot disk that can read the c:\winnt folder if you are using NTFS (unless you by a sysinternals app that read's/writes NTFS from DOS) but if you boot into the Recovery Console in 2000 or XP you can access the systemroot. The Recovery Console should be under the repair option when you boot from the original CD, or you can add it to your boot menu by running x:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons from the Run dialogue box or the command prompt from within windows (replace the x with the letter of your CD drive).

Thanks for all of your help----I finally got it restored with sunbelt NTAccess it worked great with no problem and thank you again to all those that helped.

Thanks for all of your help----I finally got it restored with sunbelt NTAccess it worked great with no problem and thank you again to all those that helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back