Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost admin rights to folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

theniteowl

Programmer
May 24, 2005
US
Hi All,
We have a corporate file share and under one folder my group has been given full control and those rights flow down through all sub-folders.
We create sub-folders for various business areas output to go to for review and there are AD groups assigned to those folders giving them Read/Write/Modify privledges in their folder.
Recently I found a few files in one of the folders that I cannot access even. I am unable to view the security settings for those files, see who the owner is or take ownership back.
Going to the security tab I get "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings."
Going to the Owner tab I get "Unable to display current owner." Trying to take ownership gives me an Access Denied error.

We have the same folder setup under DEV, QA and PROD sub-folders to hold the output from each output server environment so I checked our DEV server and found that the entire folder those files reside in is no longer accessible to me. QA has only a few files I cannot access but the rest I can.
Production is fine.

I suspect the cause may be related to the clients moving folders or files from another location and the permissions are carried along with them. I did not think they could override the inherited permissions we have but apparently it has.
Is there any way for me to recover access myself without going to our Active Directory folks? Is there any way I can prevent this from happening in the future?
I could get someone from server support to correct the issue but this seems to happen periodically and it would be better if I can correct it myself (if possible) rather than putting work requests through and waiting days for a response.
I have code that cleans up files after x days and it of course fails when it cannot access the folder causing the files to build up and consuming our storage.

I have tried going to the upper level folder and applying inheritable rights to all the sub folders and files but it always fails on the one folder in dev and the same individual files in QA.

Thoughts?
The share is on a corporate server, not one of our own so I do not have local access to it, just Full Control permission via my security group.

Thanks.

At my age I still learn something new every day, but I forget two others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back