Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost admin access on networked PC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tearsmith

Technical User
Sep 7, 2003
US
I have started my own home workgroup of computers.

PC1 = Sony Vaio, Windows XP
PC2 = IBM Pentium II, Windows 2000
PC3 = IBM Pentium II, Windows 2000
PC4 = ThinkPad 770Z, Wired, Windows 98 (soon to be 2000)
PC5 = ThinkPad 600E, Wireless, Windows 2000
Router = Netgear, 54 Mbps Wireless Router
Modem = Westell Ethernet, Bellsouth DSL
Workgroup = HOMESTEAD. T

Problem #1 is that on PC3, after upgrading from Win98 to Win2K, access to the admin fuctions are disabled. We were trying to set up my daughter as the admin, but got the "user" info instead and set up a password for her. Now that we need to make admin function changes our access is denied. We cannot see any of the other 4 computers in the Homestead folder in My Network Places. The other computers can ping each other, but PC3 is not listed.

Problem #2 is that the PC4 laptop shows up in the workgroup only when turned on. The lighted number on the front of the router only light for that PC when it's on, but the others stay on all the time. What's up with that?

Is there something I can do to make sure that all my PC's can ping each other, can be listed in the workgroup on all other PC's, and can all have admin access with the same passwords?

We are new to the networking thing.... maybe someone's done this a million times and can give a quick fix??

Thanks in advance!

Problem 1: Have you tried logging on as Administrator w/a blank password? I don't think you can have a Win2k box w/o an administrator account. If you missed it somewhere in the setup, it may have been setup w/ a blank password. Just log off and try typing in Administrator and leaving the password blank.

Problem2 I am going to assume you are using DHCP for addressing on your network (with the router as the DHCP server). The light not being on when the laptop is off could just be that it is really off. Some desktop PCs still have voltage on the ethernet wire for Wake on LAN features. The one laptop may just not have those capabilities while the desktops do. Anyway, download a demo copy of NetworkView and scan your network. It will give you a neat little map of your network with all IP addresses and computer names.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back