Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost 2nd Partition (D:) after upgrade to win2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

army45

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
US
I upgraded win2k professional to win2k server on my HP Laptop, on win2k professional I had C and D drive on seperate partition. after and upgrade when logged on to the server, I can see the 2nd partition (D: Drive) but when clicked through win explorer it gives an error D:\ is not Accessible, Access is denied.

I have data files on D: drive which i need to have access to, hope someone can help.
p.s. I know, I should have backed up the data before an upgrade, but I didn't.
thank you in advance.

Actually, you probably have to use disk management and import the foreign disk (if it had once been upgraded to dynamic). Let it write a signature, and it should show up again.

Was this issue ever resolved?
I'm having the same problem.
My system has (3) partitions.
Did a fresh install of W2K Svr on NT Svr
Didn't touch the other (2) partitions.
Now, I cannot access the other (2) partitions.

I thought of marking the partions as active.

Any suggestions before I do this?

Thanks,

No ,do not mark them as active 'cause you will make a mess w/o results.

Army45> You can't upgrade win2k professional to win2k server, it is not possible!If you are still shure you did right that tell me what version of Win2K server you used 'cause i'm dying to find out that.

If it's oem laptop like it is(HP) then try to find out is it problem specific to that model. TRy typing "can't see drive after upgrade" in google, maybe there is microsoft Qxxxxxx article about it. Chek security on drive the:\.

I think there is MS KB article about it, as i remember.....

As i see your Q was 2 years ago so you prob find out solution so far.... Srdjan Katic
Microsoft Department Manager
Compaq & Microsoft TS
sleew@infosky.net

take ownership of D:

go to NTFS permissions (security tab) then advanced at the bottom, and owner tab... just be sure to check the check box on the replace ownership on sub files and directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back