Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loss of SQL Server Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwunz

Programmer
May 4, 2001
US
I having a random problem with SQL Server 2000. The services stop responding and the only indication I get is when I try to access the data base via ODBC and get the following error:

-2147467259-[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]General network error. Check your network documentation

Stopping the services and restarting them fixes the problem until the next random stop.

Our environment has 4 realtime systems sending data to an application for insertion into the database, and separate user applications for reporting, etc.

At first I thought we were just having a timeout problem, but a pattern has developed requiring stopping and restarting the services.

Has anyone seen this or know where I might start to look?

I would start by looking at the sql error log and the NT application event log. By default the sql logs are in the log subdirectory of the directory you installed sql in. They are just text files so you can read them with notepad.

Definitely the NT and SQL Server logs are the place to start. If you can use SQL Profiler, it can become an invaluable tool for detecting errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back