Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loss of mouse control

Status
Not open for further replies.

artyk

Programmer
Apr 5, 2006
US
I was recently working on a Dell desktop computer (not sure of the model or specs as it is not mine) and upon reboot lost control of the mouse. The mouse in question was wireless and at first I thought it could be the batteries, but I tried quite a few, including several that were known to be good. Then I thought it might just need to be re-synched to the receiver, so I tried many times to synch it, with no luck. The keyboard connectivity was intermittant, so I know that at least some of the time there should have been a connection. I also tried a PS/2 keyboard, which worked, and 2 or 3 PS/2 mice, which never did, which makes me think the problem is a little deeper than dead batteries or a connection issue with the wireless receiver. Has anyone come across this issue, or know of something to try, preferably without having to login as I can't even click on the username to login?

For the clicking the user name to login use the tab key to move between the different clickable areas.

Using the alt tab key will move you between windows if\when you get to the desktop.

Until you log in and have a look at the event logs and\or device manager it would be difficult to diagnose properly.

Long before mice appeared you could use the keyboard to traverse the OS, you still can now days.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Fortunately, I'm pretty comfortable navigating Windows with just a keyboard, however, I wasn't able to to bring the focus to the login name, even using the tab key.

Try the normal Login screen, by tapping cntrl-alt-del twice.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

For now, I was able to get it to work using the "last known good" configuration. For some reason it seems to lose the keyboard too between the setup/BIOS screen and the actual Windows startup screen. Now that I'm in I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the suggestions.

For some reason it seems to lose the keyboard too between the setup/BIOS screen and the actual Windows startup screen.
USB drivers being loaded!!!

there is an issue on some mainboards and the SP3 USB drivers, the fix was to install the SP2 USB drivers...

thread779-1526388

the above has the point in the thread as to how to copy the SP2 USB drivers over to the SP3 install...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

I would agree, however, it would happen just the same with an old PS/2 mouse and keyboard, and SP3 hasn't been installed. It seems to be working for the time being. I'm going to put it through its paces before I declare it "fixed", though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Just as I typed my last reply it happened again. Figures...

Well, the issues seem to be over. I've rebooted numerous times and, with the exception of when I began using the wireless mouse and it was trying to find the signal, it's worked perfectly.

if it also happens with PS/2 devices, then it could be a flaky HID driver, or even a flaky PSU (flaky power output on the 5 volt rail, but this would show up under a different OS, e.g. Bootable Linux LiveCD, also.)

one thing you could do, is run CHKDSK on the system drive, and SFC on the system files... just to rule out corruption of system essentials...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back