Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

loss of mapped drives 2000 server/2000 & 98 clients 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akgirl

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
US
extreamly new to 2000 server,

periodically throughout the day the clients lose their drivemapping(connections), 98 & 2000 professional workstations on a new 2000 server.

we use script logic, everyone logs/maps in fine......but as day progresses they lose their mappings. you can still see the mapped drives in my computer98/2000, 2000 clients have a red mark through theirs. clicking on each mapped drive gets them connected again, but that is a pain.

does anyone know what could be disconnecting the clients?

please help [sadeyes]

Brontosaurus is correct. But it could also be a license issue - not enough licenses

This MS Q article explains it:
Q297684
Drive Mapping May Time Out on a Windows 2000-Based Computer

thank you brontosaurus, so far so good!

thank you all
[thumbsup]

Try this reg hack. It works for my Win2k machines but do at your own risk. Backup registry before please :)

In the registry under hkey_local_ machine
under system then under controlset001 and controlset002
go to services then lanmanserver then parameters
to your right you should see a autodisconnect setting.
put this in hexadecimal
ffffffff should be 8 f's that will give you a

value of

Make a backup of your registry before you make any changes. This worked for me so I am basing it off that.
I made the changes to both of my controlsets.

I have a question possibly related to this same issue:
Whenever I copy a file, from a local C: drive to a drive on the Server, or downloading a file from the Internet via a Workstation to a drive on the Server, it will copy it fine, but as soon as you try to access it on the Server from the workstation, access is denied, I am somehow getting disconnected from the Server after copying every time.

HW is Server 2000 with SP2, 256 mb ram, a Celeron 1.4 gig processor, maxtor 40 gig HD.
Workstations are Windows 2000 and also Windows 98SE.

The only way to get back to these files on the server is to reboot the WS.

Anybody have any ideas ? Do something - learn something - It isn't going to fix itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back