Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loss of java functionality within Microsoft XP platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greyfoxvt

MIS
Nov 13, 2002
US
This is very strange, but I cannot execute any java based applications or internet explorer functionality with java does not work...! When I enter a website with a Java Script utility built into the source for the page, my PC will not show or execute it. When I try the same using the Mozilla Firefox Browser, it works fine. What's UP?

The issue is even happening within my Microsoft Front Page 2003 program, where I cannot preview the java menus...

Symantec says no viruses, although one was detected and quaranteened. No anti spyware from Microsoft Antispyware either.

HELP!

Greyfoxvt,

Just to clarify something (as it is not always known) - JavaScript is not Java. It's loose resemblence to the Java syntax created the name. Not sure which you mean as you refer to both and web menus can be in a java applet or written in javascript.

Either way this is most likely to be the security settings within Internet Explorer. Frontpage uses the IE shell to show you a preview, so the settings will still apply.

To change the settings you will need to go to Tools > Internet Options > Security and select the zone you are referencing and set the necessary options to enable or prompt.

If it is actually a Java applet (NOT javascript) then goto the advanced tab and enable the Java option.

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

XP/IE does not have Java, you have to get the SUN Java run time enviroment 1.5.X to access Java Apps in XP.

When installed you will have the SUN coffee cup down next to the clock.

I guess Firfox has builtin support, but not sure.

Well I have checked the security settings, but they are already selected to allow Java Applets. This issue started after a virus was detedted by my Symantec software and quarentened. I deleted the virus, and ran the removal tool from Symantec which said it removed 1 virus and a directory. but it did not say which directory. After another full scan all seemed well, but not applets would work in either Explorer Browser or FrontPage. However the Mozilla FireFox works just fine...

I tried to update any missing security patches from Microsoft, but the program will not run from Windows Update, I just get a blank white screen. I then manually went through FireFox browser and ran the update, but nothing was needed.

I am sure something is still wrong or missing, I just do not know what.

Anyone have any ideas?

Greyfoxvt - sounds as though the engine is corrupt in IE (which if still present is why there appears to be nothing needed after the update search)

I would uninstall IE and reinstall.
Remember to backup/export your bookmarks if you want to use them later.

Next, if you downloaded the latest Java applet (I think it's 1.5x) you should re-install that as well. When asked which browser to use it with, select IE. Your FF browser won't need it applied again.

Lastly, once your IE is working properly again walk through the update process one last time to ensure you have the latest patches.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back