Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loss of console at run level 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

columb

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2004
EU
I've just built an 7029 with AIX 5.2. As I didn't have a console I'm using a laptop and Hyperterm. All goes well including the firstboot smitty screens but on the reboot the console goes dead (no output, no login prompt, no response to the keyboad) at the end of the login process.

I've tried editing inittab to set the initil run level to 's' and it boots into single user mode fine. I've then run 'init 2' and it continus to load all the relevant lines from inittab and then goes dead again.

If I log in using telnet or ssh then all is well so I have a working server. However a console would be nice. Any ideas?

Columb Healy

It sounds like your console is set to an invalid device or a graphical terminal. What do you get with "lscons"?

You can try:
chcons -a login=enable /dev/tty0 ...won't take effect until after a reboot.

Are you sure your hyperterminal settings and serial cable are OK ? Do they work OK on other systems ?
I have seen serial cables that seem to work OK during the install / early part of the boot but do not work for a normal AIX console, I think the hand shaking changes from hardware to sortware during boot so you need a "fully wired" serial null modem cable for it to work both in a limited shell and for normal AIX use.

Thanks guys

The hyperterminal and cable work ok on other similar servers so I think that's OK. I've changed the console setting and I'll give it a go after the next reboot.

Columb Healy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back