Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing Session Variables! Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidwendelken

Programmer
Mar 22, 2005
US
I am defining session variables and verifying their contents in one page, then submitting another page.

The first thing the page does is check the session variables, and they are undefined.

Somedays I have this problem, some days I don't.

I'm stumped!

Here's the full story:

The machine is a stand-alone pc that used to be our development server. I refreshed the database code and the cfm files and the datasources. The system came up just fine. Then, last week, it started acting wonky. One day it works, one day it doesn't. No changes to code or data in between!

I tracked it down to session variables not having the proper values in them in later pages.

I've verified that the session variables were set properly before the next page gets called. I even created a new session variable just for this purpose. But first thing, in the next form, the session variables are undefined.

I flat out know it's not a typo/mispelling.

Any ideas?

I'm not a cold fusion admin person, I'm just muddling thru that part of it.

David Wendelken

hehe, you said wonky.
1 how many apps are you running and do they all have unique application names?

2 is session management being defined in application.cfm?

3 are cookies enabled on the client machine?

4 where are your sessions being stored? data coruption/hardware failure?

5 is this the dev version of CF? it only supports one IP. (or 2 i can't remember)

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.

1 how many apps are you running and do they all have unique application names?

1 application, only me running it in one window, plus the cf administrator window.

2 is session management being defined in application.cfm?

I think so...

<cfapplication
name="widget" sessionmanagement="YES"
setclientcookies="NO" clientmanagement="NO"
sessiontimeout="#CreateTimeSpan(0,0,60,0)#">

I just tried changing the NO values above to YES, and it gets farther. Now it's stopping on a different page...
No error message, so I'll have to dig some more.

But yesterday morning, it gave me trouble for about 30 minutes, then ran fine without code or data changes for the rest of the day.

3 are cookies enabled on the client machine?

The cf webserver says to use cookies instead of the registry.
The IE browser says it will accept all cookies.

4 where are your sessions being stored? data corruption/hardware failure?

Assume you mean CF admin settings?
Was registry, now cookies. No difference in behaviour.

5 is this the dev version of CF? it only supports one IP. (or 2 i can't remember)

I think it is. But I'm on a standalone machine, so it's just one machine anyway!

The application has been running fine on sevearl other servers for 20 months. It used to run on this one. I updated the cf code files and the database contents and datasource passwords, so I was surprised to have these problems.

David Wendelken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back