Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing session in ASP.NET project

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrymeeow

Programmer
Oct 17, 2002
ZA
Hi there,

I have a project created in ASP.NET C# 1.1 on a WinXP machine running IIS 5.1.

I'm trying to run it on a Win2K machine with IIS 5.0. The program runs fine but sessions timeout after about 30 secs when I've set every conceivable timeout to 20 minutes.

Can anyone help?

did you check the webconfig file of your project?

You can better regret that you have done something than regret the fact you done nothing

yup set to 20 min there too.

I had made some changes to logging in to the project and deployed that this afternoon and my session problem seems to have disappeared.

Very spooky, I hope this problem doesn't pop up again as I still don't know what the problem was.

Couple things can cause the misterious session problems.

Web.config chaning actually resets session i believe. Also. some virus scanners can cause the config to appear to have changed causign the session variables to be reset.

also, the machine may have memory issues. Our production app server would timeout after 30 mins no matter what we did. We chagned session variables from inproc to sqlserver and the problems went away. I believe the garbage collector was causing the vairables to be removed prematurely. Never could figure out how or why, so we went around the problem.

Hopefully your problems will not reoccur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back