Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing rights while copying to desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyBigBrain

Technical User
Mar 26, 2005
US
Hey guys, I need some help with this. I have windows XP Home, and everytime i copy a file, folder, or anything to my desktop i lose permissions. Then i have to go to safe mode, and give myself persmission to use it again. What could be causing this? Is there anyway to change it? It says i can't delete/move/open the file because i do not have permission. Thanks in advance.

Files on the Desktop would be stored in your username Documents and Settings folder or the All Users folder in Document and Settings. Make sure your access permissions for these folders are correct. Make sure the Inherit from the Parent Folder is set under the Advanced tab of the Properties/ Security, and that there is no problems with the upper level folders and their permissions.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

If you have a NTFS partition try these links to beef up Home to something more configurable that you may be able to use to manage access.

307881 - HOW TO: Convert a FAT16 or FAT32 Volume to NTFS in Windows XP

I went to the second link in your post, the second one that gave the security tab access, but now the kids have gotten into it. They don't know what they are doing but i would rather them not have the chance to mess it up. is there anyway to remove those files that gave me the security tab? Or is there anyway how i can remove the security tab from certain users, i mean like not allowing them to see it? If not, then i would rather let it go and find out why the permissions got changed in the first place and fix that.

when using xp (home)for the first time the novises of the world 95% only create one account to log onto there machine.... i would strongly sugest that u create a account for all of you in the family and the more technical in the family make there account administrative and put a password on it..this way you won't have the children snooping in your settings and altering the computer!

if you go into the control panel you will find a icon that allows you to create new accounts1 a small word of warning if you only set up one account when you first got the machine i would not be using it because it is a administrative account i would password that one up and keep it for safe keeping!! because if you do damage that account one day you might have to reset the whole machine!!
but if you have created a new administrative account and you damage that one you can always fall back onto the one you kept those months/years ago!!

the children..if you need to share files and work with them use the shared folder when they log on they will find the work in that folder if you put it in there!!!

good luck i hope this helps

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."

As "schtek" indicated, the accounts for your children should be set up as Limited Users, and thereby restricting their access to the sensitive parts of XP. Your account should be set up as an Administrator for the administrative side of running XP, but at the same time, you, yourself, should have a second Limited User account for the day to day mundane use, including surfing the Internet. This will make your surfing a safer experience, and harder for malware to get into XP.

With two accounts for yourself, this article will come into use.

294676 - HOW TO: Enable and Use the "Run As" Command When Running Programs in Windows

"To start a program as an administrator" in the Help and Support program.

You may find the odd program that your children have problems with as a Limited User (some games?) in that case this program is handy to know about.

Have a look at Greg PALMER's free program, see if you can make use of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back