Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing network share password when reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls62

Programmer
Oct 15, 2001
US
Hi,

I have a Win nt 4.0 server that I use to backup other pc's on our network. When I browse to those pc's C drives the first time I'm always asked for the share password in order to access. This is fine and backup software works until I have to reboot the NT machine. Once I reboot it seems to forget those share passwords. Isn't there any way to have the NT remember the share passwords so that they don't have to be re-entered every time I reboot?

Thanks for any help.

LEE

I'm not sure if this would suit your purpose but you could try creating a batch file that you put in startup or somewhere with the net use command. The syntax would be something like:

net use V: \\%clientname%\C$ /user:*username* *password*

where username and password are of the account that you use to connect to the other machines. This will prevent you being prompted for the password every time. Good luck.

Alic,

Will this still work if the pc's are not physically powered on? Without trying... what happens when the net use command is issued and pc is not on? While it still retain user/password.

Thanks.

LEE

Do you mean when you reboot the server? No I don't think it will retain username & password if you just enter net use into a dos prompt. That's why I thought you could maybe add the info into a small batch file and get it to run on server startup or something. It's not something I've tried myself but just an idea!

No, I mean if I put these net use commands into a batch file on the NT that executes at startup what happens if the one of the PC's that its trying to connect to isn't turned on. Will it just skip it, but still retain user/password or will I get some weird response?

I know I should try it, but I just haven't gotten that far this morning!

LEE

I'm fairly sure it will just skip it until next time it reboots, but retain the username & password. Probably worth running a couple of tests to be sure though!

Alic,

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try later and let you know how I make out.

LEE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back