Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

losing connection to webpages but not poker sites or IM

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJPic

Programmer
Jun 8, 2005
US
I currently have a Linksys wireless router and Comcast cable internet. When I first sign onto my laptop, (w/internal wireless card) the internet usually works fine.

I can log onto say PokerStars, fire up some tables and get an internet browser going with no problem. But after about 15 minutes it's often the case where the poker tables are working fine but I can no longer access web pages. My wife also experiences a similar situation where she's fine to use IM but can't access the web pages via a browser.

If we click "repair" on our wireless connection after about 1 minute everything works fine. But of course that requires disabling our connection briefly and reconnecting which can be very annoying if you have a few poker tables open.

Someone on another forum suggested that it sounds like a DNS issue with established connections remaining open, but new lookups not being resolved. But he didn't offer any suggestions on what to do.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of situation?

Thanks in advance,

AJ

I had an Intel wireless card in my laptop and had the same problem. I replaced it with an atheros and Haven't had any issues since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back