Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing connection to server when out internet connection goes down..?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sndkick

Programmer
Nov 1, 2000
US
Our server connects to a firewall and then out to the internet. For some reason, when our external connection is lost, I can no longer connect to the SQL Server. I am connected to the server in Enterprise Manager by using the server name "myserver1" and using windows authentication. We are using internal IPs (192.168.*.*).

When our internet connection goes down, I get a timeout error when trying to connect to the SQL Server. I can still access files from the server though. Any idea why I wouldn't be able to see SQL server when our connection is lost?

It's almost as though Enterprise Manager is trying to connect to the server through an external IP. Why would this be?

Any help would be much appreciated. Our connection keeps going down and I am dead in the water when this happens. Please Help!

Thanks.

Nevermind, found the problem. Figured I'd post the answer in case anyone else has a similar problem.

The problem is that we are using WINS rather than DNS for our network. So what I had to do was edit my c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and add the line "192.168.1.1 myserver1". Forgot about that file... wouldn't have been a problem if we had DNS set up on our server.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back