Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lose one DC and nobody can login?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all,

I took down one of my file servers to install a tape drive in it. I didn't think this would be a problem because it's my intended "file" server, and at this point we're still using the Novell server. WRONG! After I shut it down nobody could login to the network. I have two Global Catalog servers so I thought we'd be fine. Any ideas on what else I need to set as redundant for a little more fault tolerance?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Hi
Since you are working in Win2K domain, Before you shut down the dc, you will have to check if the PDC Role belong to this server. if so, transfer the role to another DC and you wont have problem with users trying to login, this is true if you are using NT4 Workstations.
Birdy

I thought that with AD there was no longer a PDC, and that all the Domain Controllers were peer controllers. Is there a PDC in a Win2k domain?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Birdy is talking about PDC Roles, not the old PDC's. Have you checked to see if you're servers have been replicating? I know somedays I log onto my network I'll access one DC and the next day I'll get on with authentication from the other. Check your event logs on the server that is still up and look for errors. There has to be a reason people aren't authenticating on the other server. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

There are Five rolls the the Domain controllers are holding.
One of them is the PDC that also enable users that use NT4 to log on to win2k domain

What is your network setup, as far as servers and client types? Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

and at this point we're still using the Novell server Just curious, where does this fit in? All desktop machines w2k pro? Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

Glen, at this point we're using Win9x workstations, except for my workstation and one other which are 2k Pro machines. We'll be going to XP next year now that my budget has passed.

As for the Novell server, it's running a paratransit scheduling and dispatching software program AND has the user files on it. I was told that we'd lose support for the software if we run it on one of my Win2k machines so the Novell server is here until we upgrade--about two years.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Birdy, yes I am and I'm pretty sure I have a duplicate Global Catalog server for fault tolerance. At least I have a vague recollection of duping it. Now that I'm thinking about it, how could I check to make sure that I have more than one catalog server?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

active directory sites and services -> your site name -> servers -> expand each server -> NTDS settings -> right click = properties, look for the checkbox "global catalog"

scottie

I have a similar problem. I recently installed a second DC on my win2k domain. So i had the root DC running and the second DC i installed for fault tolerance. I can see at times while logging on my computer or another user's that they pull the login script from the second DC. But, i had to shutdown the root DC to change it's PS and no clients could log into the network. I have Win2k and Win95 machines. The clients were saying there was no Domain Controller to authenticate to.

I have not done further testing but i have made the second DC a Global Catalog server. The root DC hold the PDC emulator FSMO. I was told that this was only used for pre Win2k OSs for logging into the domain.

I understand your situation JB. I will test my new setup and let you know if it worked.

Thanks Blu. I'll be tracking this thread to see if anything else pops up from other locations.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back