Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lose image resolution from Illustrator to InDesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toji

Technical User
May 14, 2003
US
I am having a problem with losing image resolution pasting Illustrator graphics into InDesign 2. I've tried exporting as .tiff, as .pdf and re-saving as .ai files. And I've tinkered with the display settings. I upgraded OS X to OS X 10.2.5 recently, but I don't know if this is causing my problem. It is, however, the one thing I can think of that's changed since I've acquired this problem. I orginally created this 30 page document in InDesign and copied and pasted all the images in directly from Illustrator with no problems. Now when I do this, I get terrible resolution and requests to fix links. The images I orginally pasted in this way are still okay, I just can't do this with new graphics. Does someone know what's going on here?

Are you literally copying and pasting or are you 'placing' the grafic files into InDesign? If you did paste them then the files would not even be linked to the ID file. If you did place the files have you moved them to a different folder? If so you just need to re-link. I know that when I change the location of any linked file the resolution appears really bad, after I re-link it looks fine.

If you did copy and paste I know that it is not recommended in Pagemaker but I am curious if it is okay with InDesign, although i can't think of a real need to do it.

I tell you, I am baffled by this problem. I am copying and pasting, not placing, the graphics into InDesign and I did so for 30 pages over a two week period with no problem. (all the images had originally been created in Illustrator) I did, however, try placing the images instead saved in every conceivable format but that didn't resolve the issue either. It is not asking me to re-link all the images, only the 3 of them I tried to bring in after I started having the problem and it asks every time I open the file. Go figure. I am thinking this is a bug in the OS X upgrade, a virus or some other unusual complication. I am, however, still open to any suggestions. Even the folks at Adobe gave up on trying to figure this one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back