Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loosing IPX-connection occasionally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roland

Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
DE
I sometimes heard about IPX connection problems - and now its hitting me:<br>
I have tree Novell 4.11 File-Servers, pooled in one NDS. Now 'my' newest 4 month-old Server (a Compaq ProLiant 800 P2/350MHz 128 MB RAM with SMART-2/P 16 MB Array Controler and Raid5 with 5 harddisks plus one as<br>
standby, Novell-Service-Pack 6) makes trouble. Now since 2 weeks,about 3-4 times per day, dos-workstations are loosing the mapped drive on this server. 'Never mind', would you say, 'use the Novell Client32 you will get a reconnection'. Thats right, but: it always happens when doing<br>
read/write access on my File-Database! The Result are corrupted Databases/Indices. For quick pseudo-solution, I shifted all the work-files and applications to another server. Since this time, my users look at me much<br>
more friendly. There are no routers between<br>
workstations and servers, only one (in some cases two) Hubs.<br>
If you could give me a tip to avoid loosing connection, I would be veryappreciate.<br>
Thanks, Roland

Already hate that word: "Compaq" always means trouble!<br>
you could try a new NIC in that machine. Also make sure<br>
all power save options in cmos are disabled.

Definately check the NIC drivers. The Service Pak 6 may replaced them with a different ODI method driver. Try using the original drivers that came with the NIC. Or better yet, replace them with a different network NIC card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back