Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looping PID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeater

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2001
US
I am getting the following on the console, and haven't seen this before, any input would be greatly appreciated!

removepid: pid (XXXXX), has (2) copies

where XXXXX is a changing number like 36190, 29052, 29048, etc. These
are just examples of the numbers that roll across the screen. This
error continues to print rapidly across the screen. All other
terminals and users are locked out of the system. This takes up to 5
minutes and then the loop either clears itself or we attempt to break
the loop with a break command or even restarting the system.

hmmm no clues, however if you say your users are logged out, perhaps you meet a trashing situations ?

what gives lsps -a in such situations ? did you have a look to the error log (errpt -a | more) ?

regards

Hi,

Most likely the "removepid" is a script that somebody wrote.

When it's on - do "ps -ef|grep removepid" to find out who is his father PID .

Then you will get an idea who activates it.

Generally speaking I think that this script is trying to kill some process that may not stay dead ,thus some other process revives it in loop.

"Long live king Moshiach !"

Thank you for the information, I can't find a process with "remove pid", and I did a "find" and came up blank. I am now trying to find any new scripts that may be executing "removepid".

Thanks!

Well, from the PID numbers given on the console, can you identify what applications is/are concerned, ie is it always the same or different applications are concerned ?

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back