Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loop through combo boxes and add to table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcurtis

Technical User
May 1, 2003
US
I am working on a membership database for a Rod and Gun Club that records member information, along with their interests. I have the following relevant tables:

Members
MemberID (PK)
Name......

InterestCategories
InterestCatID (PK)
InterestCatDesc

Interests
InterestID (PK)
InterestCatID (FK)
InterestDesc

MemberInterests
MemberID (FK - Members)
InterestID (FK - Interests)

I have a form that the secretary uses to record member information along with their interests. On that form I have a section for interests, with headers for categories. Under those headers I have combo boxes that select interests for that category:
(SELECT InterestID, InterestDesc FROM Interests WHERE InterestCatID = (Whatever category the combo box is under).

What I would like to be able to do is enter/update the members information and cycle through each combo box(all Tags have been set to "Interests") and append that to the MemberInterest table with the MemberID.

I have tried to work with the Tag property and use an append query:
Code:
Dim ctl As Control
Dim SQL As String

SQL = "INSERT INTO MemberInterests (MemberID, InterestID) VALUES (txtMemberID, [b]cboInterest1[/b])

For Each ctl In Me.Controls
If ctl.Tag = "Interest" Then
DoCmd.RunSQL SQL
End If
Next ctl

What happens is I get the same number of entries in the table as there are combo boxes with whatever is in cboInterest1. I know that's because that's what the SQL tells it to do, so I am half way home.....

What I need help with is telling the SQL to look at each combo box and add entries from each one, not just the first one. I am hoping to get some code that will loop through each combo box and take it's value and append it to the table.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Something like this ?
For Each ctl In Me.Controls
If ctl.Tag = "Interest" Then
If Trim(ctl.Value & "") <> "" Then
SQL = "INSERT INTO MemberInterests (MemberID, InterestID) VALUES (" & txtMemberID & "," & ctl.Value & ")"
DoCmd.RunSQL SQL
End If
End If
Next ctl

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Guys,

I am stuck with exactly the same problem. But i am not so well versed with coding.

I have a combo that has custid and name (comes from the custtable). I had created another loan reference table that has LoanNumber (autoincrement) and True/False field in it.

What i did was, when the user selects a customer in the combo and checks the true/false field it generates and autoincrement number in the loanreference table. So i have got a loan number.

Now i want the borrower id from the combo to be inserted in loan reference table.

In short i want Custid from the combo and Loan number (autogenerated) to be populated in the LoanReference table.

Hope i am clear.

Some thing like this.

Loanreferencenumber Borrower id True/False
(autogenerated) from the combo) (checkboxonform)
70000645 01-060540 True

Thanks
Dwight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back