Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lookup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sashu12

Programmer
May 16, 2007
hi all,

I have a source table which needs to be loaded into two targets, depending on a flag value 0 or 1. This flag value is stored in another table.

Actually I need to lookup two tables, the source table and the table which contains the flag is linked by another table

the logic is something like this

table1.attribute1 = (lookup table2.attribute from table2
where table2.attribute = (lookup table3.attribute
from table3
where table3.flag = 1

this is for target1

and similarly i should send it to target2 where flag = 0

can some one help me in implementing this

Create views on the joined lookup tables and base the lookup on the view..

Ties Blom

thanks blom for the answer, it really helped me. well sorry for asking this is there any other way to solve this

Use an override SQL in the lookup definition?
In designer terms using a view is probably 'cleaner'.
Override SQL has its limitations.

Ties Blom

Can't you use two lookups and then filter the records going into the two tables? Is there something complicating this that I am not aware of?

well fearthellama, i am not able to understand what to write the condition in the lookup. do u have any solution

With 2 lookups you can achieve this as well, there is no need to modify the 'normal' lookup conditions.

Ties Blom

hi blom, can u tell me how this can be achieved

Perform first lookup to table2 first and then use the result returned to perform a lookup to table3.

Ties Blom

hey blom0344,

well i am just not getting how to do that. let me explain my problem

first of all i have created two unconnected lookups for table2 and table3. then i created lookup ports as l_attribute2 for table2 and l_attribute3 for table3.

Now i take a router transformation to divide the source into two targets depending on the flag condition.

the problem is when i am writing the filter condition for each group in the router. I am not able to write the condition.

I was trying to make it look this way

table1.attribute = :lkp_table2:)lkp_table3(table1.attribute) and table3.flag = 1

but i dont know this is the answer. bcoz i cant use the table3.flag = 1, as i am using an unconnected lookup, so i can use only one return type. i think i am clear to all

can u help me with how to write the condition

The first message you posted had this:

table1.attribute1 = (
lookup table2.attribute from table2
where table2.attribute = (
lookup table3.attribute from table3
where table3.flag = 1
)
)

Am I to understand that each lookup returns a single record or does table1.attribute1 end up containing a set or array?

What I thought you were asking is how can you lookup a value from the source in table3 and use it's return value to lookup a value in table2. The logic would then look like this:

table1.attribute1 = (
lookup table2.attribute from table2
where table2.attribute = (
lookup table3.attribute from table3
where table3.flag = 1
AND table3.SOMEVALUE = source.SOMEVALUE
)
)

And the transformation logic would then be:

Source:port:SomeValue -> lkpTable3:port:SomeValue
(lkpTable3 then looks up table3.attribute)

lkpTable3:port:Table3Attr -> lkpTable2:port:Table3Attr
(lkpTable2 then looks up table3.attribute)

lkpTable2:port:Table2Attr -> rejoins the source record at the next transformation.

hi fearthelama, this is exact situation. I have a table called telmast, whose records are to be divided into mac and non-mac incidents. and the following is a condition.

telmast is the source and i have to load into two files mac and non- mac the following is for mac.

Lookup the MAC incidents from the TELMAST where the TELMAST.SUBJECT =(lookup SUBJECTS.SEQUENCE
from SUBJECTS
where SUBJECTS.GROUP =
(lookup SUBJTYPES.GROUP
from SUBJTYPES
where CODE = ' MAC'))

this is my problem. now can u understand.

thanks

sashu,

Are you even trying to understand what we are contibuting?
Did you try my view approach?

Ties Blom

hey blom

well i understood what u have told. well i even got the result from ur view method. i just got curious with the second approach and was trying for that.

the view method is absolutely working and i have checked with that. I was trying the other method of creating two lookups. that is it

The problem i have got is, i am not supposed to create views, and if u can help me with creating lookups

Use connected lookups as fearthellama shows in his example.

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

well guys thanks for ur view, especially blom, i have got the solution because of him.

i did with the help of second approach told by blom. I didnt know how to implement that, but i tried and got it thanks anyways guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back