Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lookup Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLScholar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
Hey all,

Been a while since using access - so please be gentle :)

I have SQL tables and columns like this

tbl_user
Username
Firstname
Surname

Tbl_GroupMembership
Username
Groupcode

tbl_groups
Groupcode
Groupname
Owner

So effectively its a many to many relationship split with a bridge table to make it two one to manys.

Now in access data project i have some forms based on these tables. I have a main form which is the user, then a subform which is the group membership. I have made it so when you chose the groups you get to see the groupname and owner in the dropdown. However when you then save the entry with say 10 groups you cant see what those groupcodes refer to.

What i am trying to do is to add a read only field into the form that looks up the groupname from the groups table.

I just cant work out how to do it?

Any ideas?

Dan

----------------------------------------

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Bernard Baruch

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

Aha....

Actually it does work for the above. I simplified it.

The join from the intermediatry table to group is actually a composite key. I think this may be making the view in SQL not updateable.

Dan

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Bernard Baruch

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back