Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lookup table for sin and cosine and log

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaminVali

Technical User
Dec 8, 2006
NZ
Hi, I need to improve the speed of my programs. i know that I can improve it by using LuTs for sin cosine and log functions in C but I have no idea how to make these LuTs. Should I just write them as a text file? how do I link it to the program. Sorry to be technically ignorant but I just haven't got the know how for the Lu's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

> I need to improve the speed of my programs
Have you run a profiler to find out where the code is spending the most time?

> i know that I can improve it by using LuTs for sin cosine and log functions in C
Maybe, but at the cost of some accuracy in the results.
Todays desktop machines can do sin/cos in hardware, which is going to be tough to beat by any significant amount.
Would your code still work with the loss of accuracy?

But, does the profiler (see step 1) show that these are the problem? If you're not careful, you can spend a lot of time for very little gain, because this isn't the real problem area at all.

> Should I just write them as a text file?
Or just generate them within the program, by calling a function to initialise a LUT when the program starts.

--

1) What level of accuracy do you need
2) Is interpolation OK for in between values
3) Are your sines/cosines in radians, grades or degrees?

We used to use LUTs for tomographic reconstruction in the early 80s. The difference was significant: without LUTs 7 days, with LUTs 20 minutes - that was on a Data General Eclipse. In the late 80s, we used array processors without LUTs and the best we could get was 40 minutes.

A sine/cosine takes appx 120-130 cycles on a Pentium. Logs (base 2, base 10 and natural), in comparison, only take 3-5 cycles so it is probably worth using LUTs for sines/cosines but not for logs. This may be different on different architectures. If the architecture you're using doesn't have a floating point unit, it really would be worth considering LUTs.

Setting one up is simple. Say you are working in degrees and want an accuracy of 0.01 degree
Code:
#define SINMAX 9000
double sinlut[SINMAX + 1];
void SinCreate ()
{
   int i;
   double angle, angleinc;

angleinc = 3.1415926535 / 2.0 / (SINMAX);
   for (i = 0, angle = 0.0; i <= SINMAX; ++i, angle += angleinc)
   {
      sinlut[i] = sin(angle);
   }
}
Using it is quite simple unless you wish to interpolate for in between values
Code:
double Sin(double degrees)
{
   int ix;
   ix = int (degrees * 100.0);
   return sinlut[ix];
}
As Salem says, if you do a speed comparison on a modern desktop, you won't see any difference. If you use it on something without a floating point unit, the difference is significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back