Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lookup from 2 Data Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcfantasy

Programmer
Jun 3, 2006
DK
Hi,

I'm trying to use the lookup function from 2 datasets that get data from 2 different data sources. The result of the lookup function is just blank, no error or any value.

It only worked for me when using it on 2 datasets from the same data source. Is it restricted this way?

Below is simplified information on my implemention:

* DataSet1 contains fields Country, using DataSource1.
* DataSet2 contains fields Country and CountryCode, using DataSource2.
* A table is bounded to DataSet1, showing just Country. In another column, the cell has the expression:
=Lookup(Fields!Country.Value,Fields!Country.Value,Fields!CountryCode.Value, "DataSet2")

I don't have any parameters, filters, calculated fields or dynamic connection strings. And I am using the Report Designer and SQL Server 2008 R2.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Andrew.

Andrew
Research Assistant

What about creating a VIEW or Stored Procedure with a UNION of the 2 different data sets? Then you can simply pull from a single source. If the source ever needs to be adjusted, you can change it on the fly and not have to adjust the report directly and redeploy.

--------------------------------------------------
“Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month.” --Wernher von Braun
--------------------------------------------------

That is a possibility, true. Thanks for the response.

But I wonder why my scenario would not work. Isn't the lookup function intended to work on datasets with different data sources? Why wouldn't it work that way?

Andrew
Junior Analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back