Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looks connected, but isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacemanStu

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
US
I will provide as many details as possible, but please bear in mind that this is a work in progress.

This computer is a 800Mhz PIII, 512M RAM, cable modem, Win98.

A client of mine used her internet at 11:00 one night. Next morning it won't connect. It gets an IP address ok, PPPoE seems to connect ok, machine pings to known good IPs.

I have un-installed and re-installed DUN and VPN from CD (in case the copy on the HD is corrupt), with no success. I have run the Winsock fix utility, gone through all network settings, and still can't browse.

This also affects other programs that use the internet, i.e. Norton LiveUpdate will not connect either.

If there is any other info I can give, please ask.

Thanks in advance!

Well, if you can ping a known good IP, then you're connected. You may not be able to browse a web page, but you're still connected. Exactly what isn't happening? Can you get a browser to load? Can you send email? I ran into a similar problem last year where just certain sites couldn't be accessed. Turned out that somehow, I had enabled a setting that sent certain requests that some sites considered a security risk. I fixed the problem by uninstlling the browser, then reinstalling it.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

When you ping...

Can you ping by IP address (try 4.2.2.2)?
Can you ping a named address, for example yahoo.com?

If your answers are yes and no respectively, then you have a DNS problem.

Post back here and let us know.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

I will try the suggested pings, let you know how it turns out. It's not just certain sites that don't load, no sites load, nor anything that accesses the web at all. Browser loads, but says can't load page. Online game can't connect, LiveUpdate can't connect.

Disable any firewalls, too.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back