Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

looking to play practical joke on my kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muddmuse

Programmer
Jul 31, 2001
US
My son goes beyond his alloted time to play games online. I'm looking for advice on how to write an app (in VB,C#,suggestions?) that tracks the amount of time spent on a given web site. If he exceeds his time I'll display something to mess with his mind or maybe scare the #*&#$*& out of him.

Basically all I need to know is a good way to track the date/time of URL's visited from his desktop. I'm really a web developer so I may need some detail on how to approach this as my skill set is probably not applicable. Any advice?

With IE you can use windows scripting in a timer to cycle through all open pages and log URLs every x minutes.

Load log into a DB or spreadsheet and analyze.

Not sure about other browsers.

Brian

IE won't be much use to online gaming as they will connect outside any browser.
What might work is some sort of test for the game connection IP address or port number if it requires specific access rights through a router.
I don't know how old your son is, but atleast he's not out on the street causing trouble.
I play Legend of Mir and Lineage 2 and the hours just go by in an instant. I'm no kid either :p

My Feeblegirl.com Forum boards for mmorpgs, sport, fun, politics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back