Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking to get a Norstar for my home

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonejunkie99

Technical User
Jan 16, 2018
US
Hi,

I am looking to get a Norstar phone system for my home bus as I love to tinker on phone systems. I am ATT merlin guy... But I would like to learn and get in to Norstar. I am looking for a Norstar system that can handle about 3 phone lines and about 10 ext with caller ID and one that I could program from a PC if possible not a deal breaker. I was looking at the 6 x 16 but I think its too old to handle caller id. So I would love your feedback on what Norstar system I should get. Also about 4 exts would be a regular single line phones so I what I can tell I might have to get a analog adapter.

Will all the Norstar phones work with any system? Like will the newer T7316E phone will work with a older system and will the M7310 work on a newer system.

Thanks

I would suggest the BCM as it mimics the Norstar as far as programming and can be programmed via the PC.

Otherwise the CICS with a caller id card is best if you want just Norstar.

T7316e will mimic a M7310, i.e lines start at 5th key from the bottom left on older software's.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

The BCM 50 can be "played" about as Curly has stated and it only uses a laptop style power supply and it has loads of extra features as well as being very compact. Some programming via the phone is possible in the same way as the Norstar was done.

Have a BCM 50 at release 6.0 gives you plenty of IP features to try out.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Thanks for all your help and I have few more questions.

What is the price range for BCM 50 on Ebay that I should expect to pay?
On the BCM 50 does that have caller ID or do I need to get any adapters for it?
Would I need to get ATA adapters if I want single line phones to work on the system?
Is the programming software free or is it very costly?

They hey make a break out box adapter so you do not have to use a punch down block?

Thank you again for your help.

What is the price range for BCM 50 on Ebay that I should expect to pay?
That's for you to answer, go to ebay and search.

On the BCM 50 does that have caller ID or do I need to get any adapters for it?
Caller ID is included

Would I need to get ATA adapters if I want single line phones to work on the system?
Depends on the key codes on the BCM and/or if adding an expansion module.
The main cabinet required key codes and can go up to 4 ATA's or if the there is a keycode for en expansion cabinet then a module can be added

Is the programming software free or is it very costly?
Free software which is on the BCM itself along with the guides and other software.

They hey make a break out box adapter so you do not have to use a punch down block?
If you can still buy them then yes but you would need a bunch of jacks on the other end anyway, so might as well not bother

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

I forgot to ask, does the phones need to be wired with 2 conductor or 4 conductor phone cable.

Thanks

Industry standard is to run 4 pair twisted Cat5e
1 pair (2 Conductor) is required and is not polarity sensitive.
You can use 2 pair or Cat3 cables but if you need to install IP sets or add more devices at the station that means having to run cables again.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Thanks curlycord,

Another question if I get a unit off of ebay, do I need to worry about any license keys or feature keys. What I understand that you ether have to have them unlocked or purchase them but I could be wrong. So if you get one off of ebay it could be a chance that the unit may not be fully operational.

So I am wondering if I should stick with a older Norstar KSU like CICS.

Do you guys sell used systems?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back