Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

looking to buy a wireless router... seek help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dre313

Technical User
Jun 4, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm looking for help on buying a new wireless home router.. basically I just want some feedback on which router you guys think are hot now and how far will they travel... looking to spend in the range of 1-2 hundred give or take.

THanks looking forward to the response...

Thanks for the response.. I am still open for suggestions.. thanks

Really good writeup at PC World on Wireless networking. Covers the topic pretty much soup to nuts with some reviews. Not sure what you want to do, but this article is a great tutorial. While the article is a little dated and primarily oriented at 802.11b, it should still be pretty relevant if you are looking at 802.11g.

Mine is D-Link DI-614+. I bought last November. I also bought DWL-650+ for my Compaq laptop. It worked fine.
However, I found something strange. When I use 22Mbps for few hours, my laptop might freeze sometime. Therefore, I degrade to 11Mbps, and it never happen again.

Here is my suggestion:
The router and adapter buy the same brand, if possible.
If you have budget limit, D-Link DI-614+ is a good choice.
If you don't , you could buy DI-624.

Here's a nice comparison chart on the different technologies:

Personally, I would go with either a Linksys or D-Link wireless router. The BEFW11S4 Linksys router (802.11b) is probably going to fall within your price range. You should be able to find it for less than $70 online ( along with $45-50 per wireless card for each PC.

If you go somewhere like Best Buy or CompUSA, expect to add $15-30 to each price listed above.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

I'm using the same equip as 'changing0123'. The D-link.
I have two desktops and a laptop with their cards and they work just fine. Very simple setup. One pc in the basement and one on the second floor. I can use the laptop out in
my garage, which is detached and about 75 feet from the
house. I bought my stuff thru tiger direct.

I have a linksys wrt54g and it pretty much sucks. I have it only about 10 metres away from my pc and it is always disconnecting and is ALWAYS on the weakest signal that I can get.

I have searched the net for advice from other people only to find lots of others with the same problem. I even downloaded a custom firmware available on sourceforge because apparently it is better than the linksys one. Seems to be as well!!

I am probably going to get a different one soon. I wouldn't advise linksys...

Chris MacPherson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back