Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking to build my own server

Status
Not open for further replies.

xathras

Technical User
May 8, 2003
GR
Hi All,

i am looking to build my own server or mega machine. The fast as possible, good graphics, utilization of all hardware. Maybe something along the lines of 2 AMD MP 2000 or something like that.

Anyone got any urls

Well, as far as hardware is concerned, I generally start with the processor than start reading reviews on MoBo's that accept that processor.

After that it is on to RAM, the type being dependant on the MoBo, the company dependant on your preferences.

Graphics card, dependant on what the MoBo supports (AGP 1/2/4/8x). After picking a flavor of graphics card you need to pick a company. Beware two graphics cards with the same exact name will not be the same if they are from different companies.

Sound is pretty much up to you, most good MoBo's come with decent to good sound though. I like GigaByte, lots of goodies.

Hardrive will again be up to you, a little research is in order if you don't want a really loud, really slow harddrive.
Other Drives: CD, CDR, Zip, floppy, thermal monitors, baybuses, etc. Figure out how many devices you plan on putting into the front of the computer and what they will be. Color may be important at this point, or it may not.

Case: Yep, i saved the case for nearly last. Now that you know what motherboard you have chosen you will also know what size case you need. If their is a power supply included with the case than you also know by now whether it needs to be P4 compliant or AMD compliant.

Cooling: Does the case you bought have fans? I would suggest a minimum of two fans, one drawing air into the case from the front/bottom and one pushing air out the back of the case in the back near the top. When it comes to cooling you have choice that range from pushing a moderate amount of air really quiet (vantec stealths) to pushing a whole lot of air like a jetplane (deltas). Other things to consider are replacement coolers for the CPU and the graphics card. While these are not necessary they generally work better than the ones that come with the system (usually).

As far as research is concerned I generally hit the following sites:

and many others. You'll note I listed a couple Mods sites. I have found that even when I am not building a high-end box, I like to hit the hardware reviews on mod sites because I know they will be looking into things very carefully and trying to find quiet fast components that perform well.

Anyways, hope this helps,
-Tarwn

[sub]01010100 01101001 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101111 01101011 00101110 01100011 01101111 01101101 [/sub]
[sup]29 3K 10 3D 3L 3J 3K 10 32 35 10 3E 39 33 35 10 3K 3F 10 38 31 3M 35 10 36 3I 35 35 10 3K 39 3D 35 10 1Q 19[/sup]
Get better results for your questions: faq333-2924
Frequently Asked ASP Questions: faq333-3048

It depends what kind of service(s) the server will be running.

Why does it need powerful graphics? Most servers do not. Why do you think it needs two processors? Will it host a database for an internet site?

If it's just a mega machine you're wanting to build, you can't really go wrong with a single 3Ghz + P4 and loads of RAM. That'll beat any dual processor machine in the same price range hands down for most applications (except, maybe, the most hideous of databases).

Hope this helps

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back