Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for winsock guidance on multiple client - server app 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffinator

Programmer
Dec 30, 2002
CA
Hi all,

I am attempting to write an application using vb.net 2003 that will have multiple clients connect to a server application using winsock. I have found many examples of how to connect one client to a server application, but I am unsure of how to create a server application that is capable of potentially handling multiple simultaneous winsock connections at the same time.

I have seen this done in VB6 where essentially an array of winsock connections are created and destroyed as necessary, but I would like to know how this can be accomplished in vb.net, and if there are any special considerations I should be aware of.

I appreciate any and all comments on this.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately VB.NET does not suppor the winsock control that VB6 does.

You will need to use Sockets or TcpListener/TcpClient objects.

Here is a link for a Winsock class created in VB.NET 2003, that encapsulates most of what you would expect from the VB6 Winsock control.

There is even a section that describes how to use dynamic connections on the server to allow you to handle multiple connections efficiently.

Hope that helps you out.

Thank you Borvik!! That is the type of functionality I was looking for. A start for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back