Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for time tracking program

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItIsSolutions

IS-IT--Management
Dec 29, 2003
US
We sell blocks of it support time.
Currently we enter the calls into our normal service program. Then we keep track of the customers time on a excel spreadsheet. I am looking for a program that will be more reliable then an excel spreadsheet.

I am looking for a program that will be more reliable then an excel spreadsheet.

What is so "unreliable" about Excel?

You could take a lok at the Time & Billing shell mdb in Access...

Money can't buy happiness -- but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than in a Yugo.

Quit a few things.

Most of the usuall ones that make a database be a better option then a spreadsheet. For this type of application.

Mainly the end users ablity to screw the data up.

The T/B shell has user forms and evrything else all laid out. Definitely worth looking at.

Money can't buy happiness -- but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than in a Yugo.

Lol, a yugo.
My physics professor in high school always used them in examples for momentum about yugos being hit by big trucks.
Hilarious stuff.
Was a great class.

Sorry for the 100% nostalgic and pointless non contributing post. I just had to share though. >.<

~
Give a man some fire, he will be warm for a day, Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

genomon - I have checked out the T/B Shell but there does not appear to be a way to track the blocks of IT support hours. It looks good for a way of tracking the calls but does not appear to keep a running total of Hours avaliable.

When I worked for a managed services company we used a product called Responsive Time Logger, and I "think" it would keep running totals. You may have had to run a report to get that info, but I don't recall.

John Price

No matter what system you use, if it involves a human entering the data, it's going to be a problem. Having a database isn't really going to solve that.

However, in Access, use the Wizard to create a new database from a template. I remember seeing many pre-designed templates for creating time tracking databases. This isn't going to be helpful though if you have no MS Access experience, because the database created would still have to be modified for your needs.

Good luck,

Hi

I wrote a package for my accountant, so he can bill his clients for each of his peoples time in tiny chucks.

It's written in VFP, is that the kind of thing?

Martin

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Do you have an IT dept.? There are some great solutions here that have solved your problem. Pass this thread along to them.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back