Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for the most efficient way to update a table... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

irethedo

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
US

I have a table called TotalOrder_tbl which contains order information.

In my database the user can select a button to display order information on a form
called Order_frm. On the Open form event for this form, an input box is used to allow the user to enter
an order number and then a query pulls all of the line items of that order from the table TotalOrder_tbl
and creates the table ModifyOrder_tbl.

Then, the table ModifyOrder_tbl is used as a record source for a form called Modify_frm which allows
the user to add, change, or delete items to the ModifyOrder_tbl.

I have a button on the Modify_frm called Update and I would like for this to take the contents of
the table ModifyOrder_tbl and replace the fields that match these in the table TotalOrder_tbl.

I am guessing that an update query would do this but not sure how to set this up.

Fields in the two tables:

[Pre]
TotalOrder_tbl:
ID Date OrderNum Line Item Qty

ModifyOrder_tbl:
ID Date OrderNum Line Item Qty

[/Pre]
The ID in TotalOrder_tbl is a primary key auto number which matches the ID in the Modify_tbl

Any suggestions?

Thanks

What is the purpose of creating ModifyOrder_tbl? Why do these records need to be put in a separate table? Seems overly complicated.

MajP (TechnicalUser)19 Dec 17 04:58
What is the purpose of creating ModifyOrder_tbl?
Why do these records need to be put in a separate table?
Seems overly complicated.

Thanks for the reply MajP...

Perhaps my logic is a little twisted here but I am using a query to create a table of only the items belonging to a specific
order that is selected by the user.

That table is used as a record source for a form used by the user to edit the items for that specific order.

I chose to have the table as the record source rather than a query so that records are updated when the fields are
edited by the user but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to use my main table for this as I intend this to be a multiple user
(front-end/ back-end) database (which might not make a difference.

So all I have left is to ask, what is a better way of doing this?

Thanks

Eliminate ModifyOrder_tbl, do all your Selects and Updates on TotalOrder_tbl.
No copying data between tables needed.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Andrzejek (Programmer)19 Dec 17 13:09
Eliminate ModifyOrder_tbl, do all your Selects and Updates on TotalOrder_tbl.
No copying data between tables needed.

How do I only display the selected order on the form instead of the whole table?

Thanks MajP.

I set the On load event for my form (Modify_frm) as:

Code:
Private Sub EditRecords_Click()
Dim PWD As String

PWD = InputBox("Please enter the sales Order Number that you wish to view...", "", Default, 100, 100)
DoCmd.OpenForm "Modify_frm", , , "SO_NO = " & PWD

End Sub

but I am not sure how to set the load form event code for the continuous subform (Modify_sfrm) which
holds the order information in order for it to only display the selected order items...

The subform should be linked to the master form by Sales order number. There should be no code required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back