Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for suggestions to regain control of all my browsers? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
As a long time IT developer and user I've been using browsers since they were invented (Yep, a long time ago).
I've experienced most of the browsers and their improvements and experienced my fair share of web delivered viruses, tojans, malware and just about everything they've thrown at us.
For about the past 6 months things have been getting unacceptably bad. I am running both Win 7 Ent and Win 10 Pro on my machines and they're kept up to day and I've been using Windows Defender on my Win 10 box and Avast on the Win 7 box. I've got every available browser (well, most everything) installed and those that support malware add-ins I've got those installed and update as well.

My problem is that whenever I am browsing, which is almost all day every day as I work in the IT field, within a few minutes my browsers start receiving tons of popup ads (even though I use popup blocking) and am redirected to numerous kinds of "call this number immediately" or "your system is in jeopardy" or "play this or that game", etc. To the point where I just am sick and tired of having to access the Internet.

So, my question to all of you trusty participants is this: What am I missing? What can I possible do that I am not doing already to alleviate this situation? I know I'm not along because I know others, including those in my office and household, are experiencing the same thing. Our ISP for both locations is Comcast if that matters.

And unfortunately I must continue to use Windoze because of my work and most applications that I use at home.

Thanks for any suggestions to help me resolve this situation.

[ponder]

From your description, you pretty clearly have malware / viruses running, and it's probably not browser related at all, although some malicious plugins or add-ons may be present. MalwareBytes Antimalware is an excellent program with a free version.

I would also recommend posting this question in forum760

While ever this is the case;

And unfortunately I must continue to use Windoze because of my work and most applications that I use at home.

the most likely answer is;

Never. (or at least, not in the foreseeable future).

Windows "Defender" really is the chocolate teapot of anti-virus and yet another example of M$ buying a working product and 'fixing' it until it doesn't.

For anti-spyware "Spybot [Search & Destroy) would be my 'weapon of choice' as the 'free' version does not identify problems then refuse to 'fix' them until you purchase the "Pro" version. Neither does the free version only work for 14 days.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

1. Scan your computers with the following and in this order: AdwCleaner, Junk Removal Tool (JRT) and then ESET Online Scanner. Reboot after each has run before proceeding to the next.

2. Get a real anti-virus program. I recommend Symantec Endpoint Protection for Small Business Cloud Edition. $30 per computer and pretty lightweight. Just don't use the free Microsoft product - it's always near the bottom of detection results.
Link
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I recommend no-one puts McAfee or Norton anything on their computer EVER!

But that's my personal opinion of 30 years experience in using these AV companies.

ESET isn't bad and I use that on our 5 server VM cluster for many years now without any issues and they just scored 100% in latest tests.

However I use Bitdefender GravityZone and so far I think it is the best AV available. Bitdefender has just won a triple award for its AV :
As well as coming at the top of the latest AV comparative tests.
Trend Micro have been doing really well in the tests for some time now, but trying to deal with customer sales or support is impossible, so I gave up bothering with them!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Thanks all. Among other tasks I've spent the day trying various solutions as recommended. Most everything seemed to detect several items but not all detected everything. Many of my browsers are at least functioning now with the exception of Firefox. I might have to just trash it.

As far as which commercial solution will be final . . . it depends on their results. I will also frequent the security forum reference above.

Thank you all - now I'm back to worthless browsing. [thumbsup2]

Actually did that already. Also tried to start with no extensions/plugings, cleared all the profiles and started anew. Still same issue. It appears the trusty Firefox is trusty no more!!! Thanks.

I don't know if this is true :
But perhaps another reason to steer clear of McAfee (other than it being shite A/V)

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

I recommend no-one puts McAfee or Norton anything on their computer EVER!
But that's my personal opinion of 30 years experience in using these AV companies.

That would have been my advice for previous Norton products but have you used the cloud based product? It's very good, very lightweight. Trust me. I have it at four customers now covering about 35 computers total. The old consumer Norton products were terrible, but this is professional grade stuff.

but have you used the cloud based product?
You have me at a disadvantage, as I do speak from their old consumer and corporate products.

Norton 360 has killed so many of my members machines, I've lost count, I have had numerous infected machines who used Norton, and removing the damn program is only possible by using DISKPART, low level formatting your hard drive and re-installing the OS.

So I'm never going to trust them ever again.... but I accept your current personal experience over mine, but I still have my fingers crossed and touching lots of wood on your behalf, just in case :)

I have no fear in recommending this product either in terms of performance impact on the system, virus protection ability or reliability. You can remove it easily and there are removal programs in case things get corrupted.

You sound like you had bad luck, but yes the old versions of Norton and Mcafee I would have run from if ONLY due to how much they slowed down a computer.

>perhaps another reason to steer clear of McAfee

Whilst the story about McAfee is true it should be pointed out that he left McAfee Associates (as it was then) back in 1994, and sold his stake in the company. He's had nothing to do with McAfee products since that time (apart from his name - and even that is now being eliminated in the wake of Intel purchasing Network Associates back in 2010)

Of course, Mike, you know I was being 'tongue in cheek', just like blaming Bill Gates for any MS problem today!

Or I guess the same could be said of Apple and Steve Jobs, though most I talk to say that Apple have gone to pot since Jobs died, yet the film I watched showed him to be a total arsehole, so colour me bemused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back