Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

looking for suggestions for particular scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

uscctechnician

Technical User
Jan 17, 2013
US
Good evening,

I am looking for some advice on what is the best approach for this particular situation.

I have a main form, with a subform called "Observation Subform". While my main form will enter into a main table as one record, the subform may have 3 or 4 records stored within its table.

I have a print button on the main form which prints a report with the information on the main form. What I am wondering is how can I best set up this report to show all the sub form records that match this one main form record.

I know I am not explaining this well so bear with me while I explain the forms and process.

1) I open my main form entry called "Visit". Lets say it assigns this new entry and recordID=1
2) I go to a page called "Observation subform" within the "Visit" form.
3) I enter an observation, which is has one combo box showing the employee and 11 text fields containing notes. I fill in the text fields with my data.
4) I click my add button within the subform and add another employee and fill in the 11 text fields again.
5) I click on my Print Repaort button which automatically selects the proper data based on the recordID, which in this case is recordID=1
6) Now on this one report, I need to get both of the employees and their notes I entered in on the "Observation subform"

If there's 2 or more employee observation, I need the report to print the first employee name, and the 11 memo fields, then the 2nd employee will follow with their 11 text fields, and so on.

I am looking for suggestions for y'all to find out the best way of doing this so the report shows not only the info, but in the correct layout and not get everything jumbled together.

I hope I havent made this post too confusing.

Thanks min advance!!

Use a subreport.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

PHV,

Thanks. I tried the subreport, and it works great except for one thing. For some reason, when displaying the first record of data, the sub form is page breaking at a certain location even though the Main report and the sub report do not have any page breaks. Ive checked the keep together options as well as the page break after secion, etc... and no matter what, the sub report does a page break, prints the few remaining fields on the next page, and then breasks again. But the wierd thing is when the sub report shows the data from the second record, it works fine and does not isert a pagebreak,

I cannot for the life of me see or figure out why its just page breaking at the same spot no matter what I try or do. help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back