Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for simple way to Implement OWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikk67

IS-IT--Management
Nov 10, 2004
CA
Hi,

I need to setup OWA on my network and have limited resources to do it. I have a fairly simple network with a Linux box as a gateway for all Internet access. My Exch Srv is 2003 and sits on my Windows 2003 network. Nothing fancy here. :) I need to provide OWA for my users so that I can dump this old VPN thing I have running here. What are my options? I do have a spare router that I can use if need be. Any ideas and/or suggestions would be helpful. I have read most of the online resources but they all favour a second box running.

TIA,

P

Nothing fancy needed.

Securing Outlook Web Access using SSL

Forward port 443 through your firewall/gateway to the OWA box.

Create a DNS A record in your public DNS, such as mail.domain.com

How to make Outlook Web Access the default Web site

Tell your users to go to
Done.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

You don't need to configure those ports as mentioned in the kb if you're only opening the firewall for OWA.

My recommendation, dump the VPN and use RPC over HTTPS.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

My apologies - still on my first cup of coffee..

you are correct, only port 80 needs to be open if you are not using SSL - however, if you go this route, you should definately consider using SSL - at which point you would have to open port 443.

Mike

You'll need to use SSL if you're going to use Forms Based Authentication, which I recommend. Don't forward port 80.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

I agree - OWA should be secure not insecure. But RPC over HTTPs (Outlook Anywhere) looks a lot more fun to the users that boring old OWA :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back