Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for server tutorial links or books

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCO57

Technical User
Nov 26, 2004
US
Fellow techs,
I'm your basic desktop PC techie and know nothing about servers. I just bought a truckload of old PCs (Pentium 2's),printers, monitors, and 4 servers.
The servers are: 2-Compaq Proliant 2500 and 2- Dell Power Edge 2300. I believe they're running NT 4.0.
Can anyone aim me towards some basic instructional links or books to start me from scratch.
I'm hoping to connect to the internet with these servers and host a website featuring my original music.Is this possible with these servers? Or is there a difference between LAN servers and WAN servers? Does NT have System Information, similar to Windows, so I can see what RAM and hdd specs these have?
If anyones interested, I'll pay for step by step help with getting these up and running.We can start with Instant Messaging to communicate.
Thanks,
DCO57

Your best bet for the Compaq 2500 is to look at the thread '5500 initial config problem' and find the link to download the SmartStart CD's.
Create bootable CD and run which will give you diags etc. and also allow you to reinstall the system from scratch.

If you search hard enough both the Dell and Compaq sites have a page where you can type in a serial number and it will tell you spec of server as it left the factory.

As with most PC's when you switch the servers on you'll get a memory count and a note of the CPU's. ProLiant 2500 is likely to be one or two Pentium Pro units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back