Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for Server Imaging Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmREA

MIS
Apr 24, 2003
CH
I'm looking for a Software to take images of my Servers Harddrives / Partitions for Desaster Recovery purposes. Most of the Servers are very static and the dynamic Data will be backed up with ouf Backup-Software so I need a Software just for take an image of for example the System-Partition.

The software should be able to handle Win 2000, Win 2003, Netware 5.1, Netware 6.5 and Linux Servers and it should be possible to take / write Images over the Network and, of course, it should not be expensive.

Does anyone made positive experiences with such imaging Tools?

I've been using Norton Ghost 6.5 Enterprise Edition for the last two years without many problems. I've tested it in a DR situation and it worked perfectly.

The one downside is it can be tricky getting it to work with certain types of servers, patience is essential to get the best from this product.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Anything more specific to a Cobalt RaQ4 server? (Apache Web Server)

Go Tech!

For Novell and Windows Servers you can use MIRRORING or DUPLEXING for disk redundancy. This covers data and system.

If you want you can even remove the second disk containing the "image" to store it in a safe place.

The good news is that this has no extra cost, with the only exception of the disk, of course, and, maybe some additional controller board.

You can even use removable drives.

You can also implement Server Clustering for better protection and faster recovery.

I have no doubt SUN will have something similar for Cobalt. Mirroring and Duplexing are called RAID 1, and RAID and Clustering are not strange to the Unix world, so I think "tapodaca" you are not going to have major concerns implementing any of them.

Hope this help!

Jose.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back