Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for search appliance for our intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegomatic

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2008
US
Hello:

I've been tasked with finding a search appliance we can use to index our intranet. We are looking for an actual piece of hardware rather than a script or whatever. Because it's our intranet and not accessible from outside our network, we need to have something on the inside, as it were.

Google Appliance would work, but it's way too expensive for us.

I've found a couple of others--Perfect Search, Thunderstone, etc. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of them, and what you think of it. We're currently using Google Mini, and Thunderstone at least, positions itself as a good replacement.

Our intranet is mostly plain HTML documents and PDFs, with a few Word and Excel documents, all English.

Thank you in advance for your help!

All a "search appliance" is, is a computer with a search 'engine' running on it accessible by a HTTP: interface.

Why not build your own 'box' with something like PHPDig installed on it?

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back