Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

looking for router with configurable firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

scifidad89

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
US
Hello,

I'm looking for a cable internet router that has a configurable (or somewhat configurable) firewall. I've read that some routers' firewalls cannot be configured and I would like to have control over how my traffic goes in and out.

Any advice on which brands/models are good for this, would be well appreciated.

Thanks very much.

bigmojo,

The majority of the basic cable routers do simple Network Address Translation (NAT) to provide firewall protection. It is generally effective in preventing incoming attacks but most do not do anything with outgoing traffic.
There are also routers that do Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) which provides a greater level of security. They are also more expensive.

All provide a basic level of control over the firewall by allowing ports to be forwarded, enabling a DMZ, blocking by port/Address/traffic type, etc.

I would recommend using a reasonably secure router and using a personal firewall package running on the computers. Many are free for personal use. It provides the greatest level of security for the price and allows you to configure in/out protection exactly the way you want it.

You can find more information about routers here:

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back