Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for reccomendation on DNS Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

xevious2k

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
Hi All,

I am currently running 2 MS Win 2K Name Servers. I am looking to replace these with something newer as the machines they are currently running are at the end of their lives.

These servers are outside my firewall and resolve DNS for most of my clients. I am looking for a reccomendation on replacing them. Should I use Windows 2000, 2003, linux or some kind of server appliance?

Please be as detailed as possible as this is the area where I am least knowledgable.

Thanks,
X2K

Hiya

I too run Win2K DNS for nameservers, all the time MS support Win2K Server I will keep them the same regardless of the hardware state. Will happily replace hardware and restore my system backup.

If it isn't broke - don't try and fix it - smiles

Jerry

If you use a zone files. the transition should be very easy regardles of platform.

If you know and like windows and didn't have any major problem with it, than stick with it.

if you do not like windows - use whatever you like.

that's simple! :)

I have always liked the MS platforms, especially W2000. If you have not had any problems with the OS, I too would stick with it. If you want MS support, stick with the newest os, so I'd look at 2003.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
"Creditors have better memories than debtors."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790); US author, diplomat and inventor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back