Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for "tips" on software upgrades (ie 7.1) using the upg tool- 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norstarguy

Vendor
Mar 29, 2002
US
After a dismal first experience (4.0XC to 7.0XC) following Nortels directions to a "T" then having the system dump and having to rebuild 90 stations, PRI etc- I was wondering if I could get some feedback from techs that have done several of these successfully-

I've read a few posts in which people have "added" steps, ie disabling the add on modules, etc...I've got a customer that I'll be upgrading from 5.0 to 7.0 soon, and hoping that this one will go smoothly (like it's supposed to :D ).

TIA!

NG

- there is an upgrade procedure couple of sheets of instructions that comes with the upgrade kit - and that works

upgrade all other applications first (like voicemail) to become compatible with 7.x
MICS5.0 - is the nvram rel2 - if not make that change
Get the correct upgrade kit - (DR, US-XC, Canada-XC)
do a pit stop at 6.1
then goto 7

like always BACKUP everything in case things go bad

Norstarguy, I feel your pain. Despite what Nortel says, the upgrade tool is ultimately unpredictable at best. I've done about 30 upgrades for the local school district on MICs software from 2.0-4.1 upgraded to 7.0 and now 7.1. Sometimes you just run into a KSU that the upgrade tool doesnt like. Despite everyone's little tricks or extra procedures it may not work. I've been replacing NAMs with CallPilots, and this is the most consistent procedure I've found:
-Turn off entire system
-Disconnect NAM (other modules dont seem to matter)
-Put in upgrade tool
-Power up, wait till it boots all the way.
-Power down, insert final software (assuming you only needed 1 upgrade tool)
-Power up, and cross your fingers.

Upgrade appeared to take, but now my CP150 refuses to boot up now that I've plugged it back in...any ideas?

see if your mics sees the cp150 under maintenance-port dn status and show cp ports, that would be my first thing

Yeah, it shows the ports in dn status, however viewing it as it boots in hyperterminal it just hits a point, then reboots/loops.

Ok, brought it back to my office, put it up on my MICS switch; it now boots-

I'm guessing there may be some compatibility issue I wasn't aware of on the software version (since the new software at the customer site is 7.0) I wasn't aware there were any with the Callpilots?

The CallPilot needs to be at R3.0 or higher to be compatible with the MICS R7.0.

And I agree with senk1s about just going to R6.1 first, then go to R7.0. In effect you are using the R6.1 as an upgrade tool.

Brian Cox

Exsmogger- thx for confirming that it needs to be at 3.0 or higher- I can't seem to find supporting documentation for that, but based on how it was acting, I did suspect it.

I've got 3.0, and will install it tomorrow.

Just an update; Ended up having to replace the CP150. Although the software update did get the voicemail to boot up, apparently something got corrupted/fried as the CP150 would only read the B2 channels off the ports. Screwy.

Not that screwy. I have had the same experience where upgrading the MICS somehow corrupted the CP software.

Did you have the CP unplugged while you did the upgrade? I did- what normally "should have" resulted in the CP just not booting due to compatibility completely hosed it up when I did connect it to the MICS...

Oh well, sometimes you've got to learn stuff the hard way. :)

I've always left the CP connected to the phone system when I did the upgrades to R3.0. So far, so good. I also connect to the serial port of the CP so I can watch the progress of the upgrade.

Norstarguy,

I seem to learn everything the hard way. If things worked right out of the box I'd never learn the ins and outs of these technological marvels!

Brian Cox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back