Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for PAGENET help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmvdesign

Technical User
Sep 28, 2011
US
My goal if possible would like to use the PAGENET option and have the audio come out of the speaker on desksets.

I am looking for help or clarification on PAGENET. Here is quick description of system. Original PBX was 61c (analog/digital)PAGENET working, (dial PAGE from a deskset, sent to amplifier and audio distributed to DC remote desksets. Had a CS1000 (6.0) installed for new CS service center and was for 2050 softphones only. Still had the Meridian 61c. The 2 were NOT connected together. Upgraded the CS1000 to 7.0 and integrated the 61c to the CS1000 so that they were as one. The CS1000 has its own PRI and the 61c has its own also.

I have been told that the because the Large system uses a Trunk port for the paging. That trunk port is connected to the external paging amplifier. Because it is a trunk port it cannot be pointed back to the switch to be broadcast to the speakers of the sets. On the small system (61c isn't it small?) like a Norstar the page port is built into the system and not a trunk port. So when you accessed the page key you get an opt for sets or speaker or both. You do not have this option on the large system.

I have read some other posts in this forum who i believe have it working:
Paging trunk working fine inside the pbx, but not from the outside
thread798-1537116

Any input to this would be of great appreciation.
Thank you
Tim

How were the desk sets originally being paged? The 61c wasn't a small system and the only system that had the "Page Sets" option was the Norstar and maybe the BCM.

The desksets were never paged before from what i have been told. it would only come out to an amplifier then to DC remote desksets. I was told that the 61c was a small system but if it is not, then i would say that there is no way then to make the PAGE audio come out of the desksets. I figured that possible the was a PBX Guru out there who have figured out a way to make it work.

It always doesn't hurt to ask the question and see what all replies everyone has to say. If you don't ask ...you'll never know the answer.

I have no idea what a DC remote deskset is but you could never page through a digital Nortel PBX phone, only the Norstar. One exception was the ability to page through IP phones speaker but that product was discontinued. The other option is to page through IP phones with a Valcom unit but that requires Session Manager. Cheapest alternative is to just page over head.

Thank you for your input KCFLHRC. Have a good weekend.

On the E-MetroTel UCX call server, the new Nortel migration product, you can page through the speakers of the Nortel M2000 and M3900 phones, something you could never do on M1 and CS1000 digital sets.

See the video below and fast world to 5:30 time on the video and you can see the paging in action:

So this is a fun filled act pertaining to paging on the M1. A gentleman named Steve Pallen who was Design Team Lead on the Meridian 1 Option 11 and CS1000 at Nortel and Joseph Abraham, another Senior Software Designer on the CS1000, are the ones who engineered this new paging feature as well as well as getting the Meridian digital phones to work on the UCx. I believe set paging was one of the FIRST things they needed to accomplish, because of tons of requests of people like you. So basically on the UCx, you can page through the Nortel IP Phones, Norstar M/T phones and Meridian 1 M2000/M3900 sets and SIP sets all at the same time.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Enthusiast

Back in the day Nortel used to put out a wish list for new features. We put the paging through phones on the list every year and nothing ever happened with it. You would have thought it would have been fairly easy to do, maybe it was. That was the biggest complaint from customers coming from Norstar's.

Let me correct myself...yes you could roughly page through the M1 sets with the I/C Intercom button. I believe if an I/C Group was setup, you could page all of the phones in the I/C group by press the IC button, dialing the Number you want to reach and then pressing I/C again would put you over the speaker of all of the digital phones.....see the following user guide under Group Intercom:

Quoted from there" "1 You may activate the speaker on the phone of the person you are calling by pressing
a second time after dialing the intercom number. The party you are calling will now hear your voice on the speaker of their phone...they must press   or lift the handset to speak back to you."

I think there was a way to set this up on the Meridian digitalM2000/M3900/M5000centrex phones to allow you to intercom more than one phone at the same time.

KCFLHRC, you'd definitely know better than me, do you remember if the Group I/C worked that way?....sorry I snapped at you that one time, hope you know I was having a bad day.

I do not remember the Voice Intercom working that way. It was a 1 to 1 call, no group. The originator pressed the intercom button, dialed the member # and your voice came out of the speaker of that phone and they could talk back handsfree. The other option was a ringing intercom.

It explains the implementation and operation in the Feature Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back