Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for network solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

birch1

Technical User
Nov 1, 2003
CA
I have a 1.5 Mbps High-speed internet connection using Motorola Canopy technology installed in a building at the back of my property. It is connected directly to a single computer in that area. I would like to network this computer to 2 other machines located in my house which is around 400 feet from the primary computer. Is there some solution that will overcome the 300 ft. limitation of standard ethernet over this distance ? I would prefer something that is hard-wired, so as not to interfere with the Canopy solution. I considered daisy-chaining routers at the 200 ft. mark to extend the signal distance, but am too unfamiliar with the technology to know if this will work. It seems that Cisco LRE would work, but is an expensive solution for a home network. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/solutions.

Unless you are going to look at a repeater (which can be pricey), you are going to look at what I call the ghetto medias (powerlines, wireless, etc...).

Been my experience is that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If your building has power issues (which you may not even be aware of, unless you monitor voltage over a period of days), powerline adapters may blow... Then again, they may work fine... Same with wireless, its a coin toss...

Personally, I wouldn't do it, I'd search out google or ebay for a low end repeater.

Matt J.

Cisco LRE is a bit expensive; but if you mentioned it, then fibre can't be that bad of an option.

However, check out BlackBox then have tonnes of "things" that will push ethernet a little bit farther.

Mind you a couple of wireless nics ($100 each) and you could be set.

cheers,
help24ca

Fiber might be a good fit here. Especially if you have the potential for voltage spikes or ground loops in a copper run between your house and barn. I good installation will prevent any of that but you can pick up some switches with fiber uplinks pretty cheap on ebay these days...
We are tossing out our old 10mb hubs with 10FL uplinks because they were on ebay for $20 and it's not worth our time to deal with them for that....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back