Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for Micros training recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

POSnoob

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2007
US
We just purchased a res4.0 3700 system from Micros.
We went with them because we are initially using a single terminal, and the thinking was that with a local dealer (and their corp hq within a couple hours drive distance) disaster recovery would be in their hands.

So....now I have this whiz bang pos system that I'm a little afraid to attack with my usual approach of breaking and fixing until mastery is achieved.

PCAnywhere is still as much of a pant load as it was the last time I used it years ago, and the idea that a remote user needs to share a session with the local console user is quaint to put it nicely, so I hacked the Xp Pro install to support multiple rdp sessions. (All I needed was one console/one remote.)

The point of all this is to be able to remotely run/view/print reports and do employee additions and such without getting into a fight with the console user.

Problem is that when I access \MICROS\Common\Bin\AutoSeqExec.exe the system complains about the database not being loaded.

Is this an issue of pathing, permissions?

Can you see from this post that I am a loose cannon?
What sort of training does it make sense for my company to purchase?

Again - we are currently a single terminal installation, but we do have multiple locations that will be getting terminals also over the next year.

What I want is a basic lay of the land familiarity that such that I know what things are safe to tweak and which are not.
I'd like to be able to configure reports and have them dump to a location where I can script an ftp push to our corp server to publish them internally.

I'm not looking to become a dba or a micros installer - just to be able to administer this thing properly. I have no problem with the local dealer - they've been great. I just don't want to spend 5k to learn to do myself what micros would charge 1500 to do, and I don't want to pay them for things I could easily be doing myself.

I understand training isn't cheap, and I understand why. My last company charged 1500/day for training and 5k/day plus exp for onsite pro services.

Has anyone taken or does anyone administer training appropriate for what I need?

The ODBC driver for the micros apps needs to have TCP/IP checked when logged in via Remote Desktop.

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Data Sources and select the System DSN tab, find the Micros entry. Hit Configure, go to the Network tab and check TCP/IP. You don't need to fill in the IP address, that's only if you're going to actually connect from a remote machine.

Mark
On The Mark Solutions
Ramblings of a POS Consultant Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back